topbella

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday: There's no "I" in "Promotion"....Oh wait, yeah there is.

I have finished my second blog tour for Touch of the Gods: The Wager and of course, I'm so very thankful to those who hosted me. I also want to congratulate those who won from the contests during my tour and trust me, I am getting your stuff out to you. My kids took all my packaging envelopes and turned them into various make believe clothing.

Now, onto what this post is really about. Promoting. Yeah, crazy stuff and almost makes me wish I could write synopsis all day long! Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but it can take more time than even writing a book. And I realize, while there are avenues to help with marketing my books, it's all "me" that sees to it the world finds out about it.

There is plenty of "I" when it comes to finding readers that can love your book. This is something that's important with anything that you love or find to be important. When trying out for a job, we work hard to "sell" ourselves to the employer that we're the best. It's no different when marketing a book.

I won't lie, I had this crazy idea that when I finished my first book, I'd become a big time. I'd have MILLIONS of fans and then get a movie deal. You know, crazy fantasy world idealogy. Then, of course, reality  sets in and I discover, no one knows me at this point in time. I'm just a small fish floating in a ocean of other fish. How can I stand out?

That's where busting my ass in promotions come off. But I have to do it without seeming like I'm too desperate. Not only does it seem spammy to readers, it tires me out too. I know however, I can't just not market. It's a never ending process to maintain sales and awareness that I am truly an author.

Note: You can tell people you meet in the street that you write books, but if you don't have a way to really *show* it, your words don't matter.

Example of that note, is when I google my book Touch of the Gods: The Wager I am able to find links upon links on pages from blogs, reviews, Goodreads, and Amazon of the title. So if I give my business card, mention the book by name, a reader can find it easily.

That is all because of my promoting. I did all that. Me. Because I love my books. I care about their well being (yeah my books are babies). So I make sure to really put myself out there so that I can one day become that big time author. With a possible chance at one day seeing my work hit the big screen.

One day right?


Until then, I continue my writing before my next book comes out. Then of course, I'm going to be back at it with my new novella Down the Yellow Brick Road: Finding Home comes out September 14th.

Don't believe me? Think I'm yankin' ya chain? Well, while I've just finished promoting my one book Hot Shots, I'm doing this now.

I'm busy at work writing another book.

Hope you enjoyed this segment of Thoughtful Thursday! Have a great day!

0 Comments:

About Me

My Photo
D. X. Luc
I'm a mother of four. I'm a writer, wife, and sexy to my core. Sinfully unrestrained.
View my complete profile