topbella

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Forever in my heart. Forever missed.

This is still hard for me to even write, let alone believe but, our family dog, our sweet girl, Reba passed away Sunday morning. She had a tumor spreading so we knew this would be something that was going to happen. Only, we were planning on getting a second opinion that we could save her from the former one stating that she was too old to help.

We couldn't give up on her in such a way, especially if there was a chance to give her a bit longer. However, I learned that life often has other plans for you and Reba knew what she wanted for hers.

On Saturday night, we noticed that Reba seemed hesitant to sleep. She wouldn't leave my side (which was normal for her) but something was off. Right before bed, I stroked her head and smiled at her. I told her we'd see her in the morning and went to bed myself.

Sunday mornings are busy. We are usually in a rush and have to leave before 10. The kids woke up first and came to us to tell us that Reba had had an accident in the living room. We cleaned it up while she just laid on the floor watching us. I went back to finish getting dressed, while my husband took Reba for her morning walk.

We live on the third floor so it's hard on anyone, let alone an old girl like her. A few minutes later, I hear my husband screaming for me and as I walked from the room, I saw him laying her on the floor. She was limp and breathing with shallow breaths. She looked at me and I just knew what she wanted.

Her family there with her as she had been for us.

I called the kids and we all sat around her, petting her. With a little smile, she took her final breath and she was gone.

She was our rescue. We got her when my second born was just over 1 years old.  Reba changed our world and she will be forever in our hearts.

We love you Reba. We'll miss you always.


4 Comments:

Kathryn R. Blake said...

I'm so sorry about little Reba. I still miss my Muffy and she departed from us nearly ten years ago. I don't know if she was in pain, but her kidneys had failed and she was having trouble breathing, so I agreed to put her down. I stayed by her side, petting and reassuring her as I cried. She was ready, so her heart stopped almost immediately after the shot. I think what I found most difficult to accept was that life continued on even after a tragic loss. When I left the vet's with my eyes swollen from crying, I'd expected the birds to have stopped singing and the sky to have clouded over with her passing, but that didn't happen.
Reba went peacefully surrounded by her loving family, and as difficult as it was for you to lose her I have no doubt she was grateful for your understanding and support.
Others may not feel Reba's loss as keenly as you do, which is natural. If you'd like to connect with kindred spirits, I have a web page devoted to pet loss filled with reassuring poems and sites. Though it makes me cry every time I visit, I also take great comfort from the sentiments. You are welcome to visit when you're ready. You can even light a candle for your doggie during The Monday Candle Lighting Ceremony at Petloss.com.
http://www.kathrynrblake.com/home/petloss.html
http://www.mondaycandleceremony.com/
Offering you a virtual hug.
KRB

Kayelle Allen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. When my sweet little rag mop of a pup died, I was devastated. I still mourn her, many many years later. I visited Petloss.com to share how I felt, and it helped to be surrounded by others who understood how profound a loss can be when a pet dies. I remember reading a poem called Rainbow Bridge that made me cry even harder -- but offered so much comfort that I was glad I had done it. Sending you cyber hugs.

CeeCee said...

So sorry for your loss. I know what an experience it can be. It just takes time, but as a loved member of the family you never really forget them. As you may know Shiloh Walker is loosing her dog today. It definitely puts a big whole in a loving family. Crying is natural and healthy.

Toni Anderson said...

It's one of the hardest things in the world to lose a beloved pet. ((()))

About Me

My Photo
D. X. Luc
I'm a mother of four. I'm a writer, wife, and sexy to my core. Sinfully unrestrained.
View my complete profile